IPL PHOTO FACIALS
What Are IPL Treatments?
Who Is A Candidate For IPL Treatments?
How Does It Work?
IPL isn’t a laser treatment. Unlike lasers, which deliver a steady beam of heat energy to the skin, IPL gently zaps the skin with pulses of light energy. When treating pigmented lesions, melanin absorbs the light energy, which passes through the skin. The result is a reduction in dark pigmentation and a process that also stimulates new collagen and elastin. The body’s natural processes then remove the injured tissue giving the skin a more even and youthful glow.
The IPL process is similar in principle to laser skin rejuvenation in that the energy of light waves is directed into the skin. The light waves that permeate the epidermis get absorbed into chromophores, the cells that hold pigment, color. The intense beams of light transform into thermal energy, heat, when absorbed into the pigment. This results in the dissolution of clumps of melanin or other pigmented cells. The IPL device may filter the energy output as needed to treat various areas of the face and body without incurring trauma to surrounding tissue. This means that treatment can be customized to the specific types of pigment we need to target, such as sun spots versus broken capillaries.
What Are The Benefits?
Intense pulsed light gently and effectively rejuvenates your skin with little to no downtime. Indeed, many of Terry Conrad’s Naturallyou patients book these treatments for the easy, effective way it can dramatically transform the complexion in less than an hour.
There are several reasons to consider IPL treatment. The effects of intense pulsed light can correct several concerns without significant side effects or downtime. Some of the reasons IPL treatment is so popular include:
- Intense pulsed light is one of the best solutions for sun damage.
- Treatment can address the cause of acne and acne scarring.
- IPL can get rid of visible veins and capillaries.
- Regular treatments can help you get ahead of premature aging.
- Treatment can be performed on the face and various areas of the body.
- IPL treatments can be combined with other non-surgical modalities for even better results.
- Very little downtime is needed. Makeup can be applied soon after treatment.
Terry Conrad performs IPL treatments on the face, hands, décolleté and shoulders to even out skin tone and color and promote smoother, more youthful-looking skin. Vivace™ RF microneedling treatments may complement IPL results with additional collagen stimulation.
What Can I Expect From An IPL Treatment?
An IPL is not painful, but some patients experience slight discomfort and tolerances for the procedure vary. If desired, the Naturallyou team can apply a numbing cream before treatment. The pulses of light energy cause a sensation that most patients compare to a rubber band snapping against the skin. A treatment session lasts about 30 minutes. While one treatment can have a real impact on the complexion, Terry finds her patients see the most impressive results after a series of 3 to 5 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart.
As your skin responds to your IPL treatment, you may experience the following:
- Redness that lasts two to five days
- A sunburned sensation that lasts for a few hours after treatment
- Spots may darken starting about three days after treatment
- The skin may crust and flake for up to 10 days
- Minor bruising may occur, lasting up to two weeks
Your IPL treatment targets pigment in blood vessels and in the skin. As the side effects of treatment resolve, the cosmetic effects of the process start to reveal themselves. This looks like brighter, smoother, more youthful-looking skin.
How to care for your skin after IPL treatments:
- Be sure to protect your skin from the sun and use appropriate skin care products to prolong your results. Terry can suggest some excellent sunscreens to help you maintain your results.
- There’s almost no downtime. Because IPL treatments are relatively gentle, you can go about your day after a session.
- Treat your skin gently. Wash your face with lukewarm water. Hot water can remove natural oils from the skin, drying it out. To keep skin hydrated, use mild cleansers.
Terry’s Tip: It’s common to have swelling and redness, a bit like a mild sunburn, immediately after the treatment. These side effects typically resolve in a matter of hours. You should notice improvements to the skin as soon as a week after treatment.
How Long Do Results Last?
I recently had Dysport, IPL (Intense Pulse Light) and fillers with Terry Conrad at Naturallyou. The results were better than I imagined. I look like the best version of me; a little younger; a little fresher, but not the least bit overdone. My results are perfectly subtle and completely credible. A friend asked me if I had been away I look so rested. I couldn’t ask for more
– Liz C. F., Fairfield, Ct.
Terry Conrad is known for her skill performing the transformative IPL photo facial treatment and her expertise attracts women and men from Greenwich and throughout Connecticut to seek her services at Naturallyou. To book an appointment, use her online form or call our med spa at 203-340-9998 to schedule an appointment.